Tuesday, December 17, 2013

DIY Ruffled Christmas Tree

 
 
 
Many of you have asked me about the ruffled Christmas tree I made for my reindeer themed entryway so today I am going to show you how to make this.
 
 
For starters, you need a good cone shape to work with.
You can always purchase a cone from a craft store, but keep in mind these can be a tad bit costly at around $8 or so for an average size Styrofoam cone.
 
 
You can make your own with some heavy card stock or card board or you can do like I did
and buy one of these for a $1! 
 
 
 
 
That's right, I used a birthday hat from one of the dollar stores!
It had some silver garland stuff around the rim and the top so I just simply ripped that off and removed the elastic rubber band piece as well which left me with this a plain cone shape that was ready to decorate.
 

 
Using the red and white checked fabric I got HERE
I simply cut some strips to the width that I wanted and kept the ends frayed for a country/rustic look, then I began hot gluing it around the base in intervals so that it had a "ripple" look to it.
 


 
I did this to give it a ruffled look and to add some bulk to it as well.
 
If I did it over again I would probably skip this part and just pinch and glue the material all the way around to create the ruffles.



So after adding two and three rows of the material, this is what your shape should look like.



 
As I worked my way to the top I began to pinch and glue like I mentioned above and I liked this method better.






Then once I got to the top I simply gathered the material around and hot glued it in place at the peak to create somewhat of a "point" at the top.


 
And its as easy as that!


 
Here it is with the rest of the décor.
 
You can kind of see how the bottom two rows stick out a little bit more than the rest of the layers, and I am OK with that as I wanted a country/rustic look and was not aiming for perfection, however, you can eliminate this by simply using the "pinch and glue" method I mentioned above.
 
 
Or, if you prefer a fuller tree stick to the first method with the "rippled" look but continue it throughout.

 

There are so many different ways to create one of a kind Christmas trees using everything from tissue paper, coffee filters, rope, tinsel, glitter, and the list goes on and on, so its up to you as to how complex you get with it. 
 
 
I love how my tree turned out and it looks great with the color pallet of our reindeer entryway table.
 
 
If you are looking for an idea for quick Christmas décor this is a great project that will add a lot of interest anywhere you chose to put it!
 
And the next time you find yourself in one of the dollar stores be sure to pick up a few of these so that you can make your own Christmas tree!!!!
 
 

 
Pin It
 
Jennifer 
 
 
 
Linking up to:
 

504 Main



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are greatly appreciated! I enjoy receiving your feedback.