Saturday, October 12, 2013

Curbside Rescue-Crate Makeover Reveal

 
I am super excited to reveal my free crate makeover!
 
.....and here it is....ta-da!
 
I decided to display it on the fireplace hearth  using burlap, fall flowers in a red pitcher with pumpkins and a lantern.
All of my favorite fall things in one spot!
 
 
 Wine Crate Makeover
 
 
Pin It
 
 
 
 
 
 
For starters, you may remember when I snagged this crate from the side of the road. If you missed it you can read about it HERE.
 
 
 
The crate was in great shape just needed to be cleaned and made over.
 
 
So to the hardware store I went.
 
I was on a mission for a rich, dark color because I knew I wanted to use this crate in a Fall display, and I am trying to counteract all the Orangey oak that Mr. Chaos loves so much! (ugh)
 
So I was torn between two colors and ended up going with this one.
 
Jacobean by Minwax.
 
 
 
 
 
See the richness?????
 
Its a dark brown that almost looks black but when applied is definitely a dark brown.
 
 

 
 
Before applying the stain I gave the entire crate a good sanding with regular sand paper to smooth the edges and knock off the wood spurs and some of the surface dirt.
 
 
 
 
Then I took my paint brush and brushed it on the inside (bottom and sides) of the crate to fully coat the boards.
 

 
 

After doing that I decided for the sides I wanted it to look worn and a little "rustic" so I took an old towel used it to rub on the stain.
 
 



As you can see, by rubbing it on you are not getting full coverage like you would if you used a brush, so some of the original wood tone/grain shows thru.


 
 
 
 
Here she is after being stained.
 
 

 
 
To finish it off I sprayed the entire crate with spray on polyurethane.
 
On the wine crate I previously made over I used a stain/poly in one but I couldn't find a stain color I liked in that line so I went with a basic stain which requires a second step to apply the polyurethane.

 
 
Minwax 11.5-oz. Satin Fast-Drying Polyurethane Aerosol Spray
 

To finish it off I sprayed on this satin polyurethane for indoor use that sealed the wood and gave it a satiny finish. Just a little sheen but not too much. This was the first time I used spray on polyurethane and I love this stuff! I am now forever hooked!

 
 
 
 Once the polyurethane dried I used it to stage a Fall vignette on the fireplace hearth with a flower bouquet and pumpkin from Trader Joe's and some Fall accessories I already had on hand.  
 
 
 
 
Pin It 
 
This project serves a good reminder that great style does not have to break the bank.
 
I love my new crate and can't believe that it was destined for the trash when I rescued it!
 
 
 
 
 
Jennifer




Linking Up to These Great Parties:
 that-diy-party-button-breast-cancerTitiCrafty by CamilaThe Dedicated HouseThe Scoop
Funky_Junk's_Party_Junk_link_party_150DIY blog Classy ClutterWill Cook For SmilesCreate & InspireInspire Me TuesdayMy Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaFour fab blogs one great partyMonday Funday Link Party at thatswhatchesaid.net
House on the WayWhimsy Wed. BANNERJUNKINLOGOBy Stephanie LynnMoonlight and Mason Jars Link Party ButtonGet Your DIY OnFrench Country CottageLinky Party<br><br><br><b>Join us every Friday...</b>
The Chicken ChickGlitter, Glue & Paint
New Curb Alert! Trash Day Link Party

Junker's United Pinterest Board, a salvaged JUNK collection that'll knock your rust off! via KnickofTimeInteriors.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are greatly appreciated! I enjoy receiving your feedback.