Sunday, June 30, 2013

New Light Fixture and Tips for Selecting Your New Light

 
 
The Problem
 
 
An OLD and VERY outdated BRASS light fixture that always got on my nerves needed to be changed out.
 
It took FOUR light bulbs and I swear it looked like something out of a 1980s Montgomery Ward catalog!!! I hated it and the time had FINALLY come to upgrade!
 
 
 
Exterior Light
 
 
 
The Solution
 
A nice, NEW light fixture with a black finish, and NO BRASS anywhere to be found!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
With GORGEOUS seeded glass........
 
 
 
 
 
 
And it only takes ONE light bulb!!!! Who knew?!?! LOL
 
 
 
 
 
 
And there they are,
 
Side by side,
 
Before and After.
 
 
 
Pin It
 
 
 
I just love seeing my new fixture when I pull up to the house because it makes such a difference in how the porch looks!
 
A new light fixture can totally change the look of your room or porch.
 
 
It had been a while since I shopped or new light fixtures, and I can tell you that it was a bit overwhelming at first.
 
There are SO many different styles and colors to chose from  so I had to make myself a list to help me narrow down which fixture would work best for my house, and I wanted to share it with you.  
 
 
 
When selecting a new exterior light fixture for a porch, consider these things:
 
 
Placement and style of the fixture-
How high will it be hung, and will it hang in your visitors eyes and be too bright? How many and what type of bulbs does it require? (lots of bulbs means too much energy wasted AND costs more to replace the bulbs....ideally I like my fixtures to require only one or two bulbs)
 
Material & Quality-
Is the light fully exposed to the elements? Does the color coordinate/enhance my decor? Will it last for years to come? Is it easy to clean and change the bulb?
(very important thing to consider as some fixtures require you to unscrew several screws to get to the inside, which can make it hard to keep clean, esp in the winter, and change the bulb!)
 
Price-
Is the fixture's price within your budget? Do not get too fancy to the point where you spend too much money and the fixture stands out and looks out of place compared to the rest of your home. (Your new fixture should enhance what is already there and not draw attention to itself alone).
 
 
And there ya have it. This is your check list that you need to take with you when you go shopping for a new light fixture.
 
 
It will make your shopping experience a LOT more enjoyable, I promise! :)
 
 
Have a great week!
 
Jennifer
 
 
 
 
 
 
that diy link partymop it up mondaysEvolution of Style
 
The Dedicated HouseMy Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaProject Inspire{d} Button NewMod Vintage LifeMade in a DayInspiring Creative Moments square

StoneGablePhotobucketSouthern Lovely
http://www.thethriftyhome.comEmbracing Change French Country CottagePrettyThingsbirdsonawirebuttonThe Shabby Nest{nifty button}Natasha In Oz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are greatly appreciated! I enjoy receiving your feedback.